Thursday, January 28, 2010

Getting Fit Follow-Up


It’s been a few weeks since I first introduced my fitness plan and I thought I should demonstrate some accountability to my readers and to myself and talk about what progress I have made so far. (No, that's not me in the picture. I wish it were!)

First of all, since January 1, I have been much more faithful about going to the gym. My goal is three times a week but I don’t always make my goal. Today I walked 2 miles on the treadmill in about 32 minutes. I had to work back up to this pace because it had been so long since I did any brisk walking. At my current pace walking about 3.8 miles per hour, I burned 170 calories in that 32 minute span of time. I also use the muscle strengthening machines each time I go to the Y. In about 20 minutes, I can hit 8 machines—biceps, triceps, abdomen, lower back, shoulders, thighs, etc. This puts my total time at the Y at just under one hour.

For those of you who are a bit timid about going to the gym, here are a few side comments. At my local YMCA, the best time to go to use the exercise equipment, i.e., the time when the gym is the least busy, is around the lunch hour on a week-day. There are people at every level of fitness who are working on any number of fitness goals. There is always a trainer present who can answer any questions you have. Despite what I used to imagine, no one is really looking at me when I am doing my exercises. I used to feel a little self-conscious, but I got over it.

So, what do I get for my efforts? Have I lost tons of weight and am I now planning on entering a body-building contest? That is hardly the point. I think I’ve dropped one pound. But, more importantly, my energy level is markedly higher and my muscles are definitely more toned than they were. I know that I am sleeping better at night.

The most important criteria for judging the ultimate value of the exercise and food monitoring strategy that I have begun is to ask myself “How do I feel?” For me, the answer is a definite “I feel good!” I fell better physically and I feel better about myself because I am sticking to my goals.

Just to recap—I’m a 63-year old woman who has never been a particularly athletic type of person. I just want to feel good and look my best. If I can do it, so can you. Go back and revisit the previous post which talked about the prevention of Alzheimer’s and the book by John Ratey. My favorite quote from John Ratey is the following: "Going out for a run is like a little Prozac and Ritalin. We feel more focused, calm and motivated afterward. The more activity you are doing, the less cognitive decline."

4 comments:

  1. Very, very encouraged by your ZEST for life. Btw life is for the living. Ther's lots of time to be dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to work hard at it, believe me. Every choice I make today about how I treat my body will keep me healthy just one day longer in my life, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your drive. The benefits of fitness are too much to mention here, which speaks volumes. I've run every day since I was 25; I'm now turning 61--it works. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete