Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Friends and Fellow Bloggers


Congratulate me. It appears that I am now a bona fide member of the digital age networking system of communicators. What is the evidence that allows me to declare such an honor, you may ask? That evidence is the new friends I have made via technology, i.e., through my blog. If you have been reading this blog, you know that readers are invited to share their insights and to provide feedback to the topics that I write about. The essence of blogging is two-fold: to provide an outlet for self-expression and an avenue for communication. To accomplish self-expression, just the pure act of purposeful writing is enough. However, to accomplish the goal of communication, there needs to be meaningful two-way communication with another living human being.

It is no surprise to learn that I am not the only retired person out there who has developed a penchant for blogging. However, what is particularly delightful is to find a fellow retiree blogger who shares a very similar perspective on retirement. And, to make the discovery even more delightful is to find a fellow retiree blogger who lives all the way on the other side of the world in Australia. That is one of the exciting outcomes of digital networking. It can and does make the world smaller. Don’t get me wrong. I love all the people who share their comments on my blog (e.g., Swan’s Wing among others). But to find someone from Australia who shares this enthusiasm for the new life that we can create for ourselves in retirement is very rewarding. His blog is titled Paybacktime. Don’t you love that title? This one word captures the way I feel about my retirement. This is the time of life when I get my reward for 34 years of non-stop, hard work and obsessive commitment to my job.

To review, my initial goals for retirement were to participate in activities that challenged me cognitively, physically and socially. I also included the concept of engagement in a cause that is bigger than myself as being necessary to keep me focused and centered. According to the author of Paybacktime, the mantra for successful retirement can be summed up in three words: purpose, relationships and health.

I couldn’t agree more. What he calls a “sense of purpose” could be my own personal mantra for living. Paybacktime also cited research studies which have shown how a sense of purpose can actually lengthen your life—just as participation in physical activity and continued learning have been shown to promote both mental and physical health. I haven’t yet addressed the issue of emotional well-being in my blog, but I refer readers to the latest PBS series on “This Emotional Life” as evidence of the importance of close emotional support as a critical factor in happiness.

So, my thanks to Paybacktime in Australia. http://www.paybacktime.com.au/ And my best wishes to everyone reading. May you follow your dreams; get involved; try something new; reach out to a friend; take a walk; and eat well!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind words.
    I couldn't agree more. Modern technology is often referred to as creating communities and on the internet it's true in the best sense of the word, "groups of people with common interests and common needs supporting each other". And the neat thing is that we are freed from the tyranny of geography in creating and joining communities that best suit our needs.
    I think it's vitally important for retirees to leap into the internet water, not just dip in a toe or two because loneliness can be a serious problem for seniors and blogging and emailing is a terrific antidote.
    And the bonus, as you say, is new friends all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing "Paybacktime". It's a wonderful blog. And I agree, a sense of purpose will benefit all of us. John and I also think anticipation is a great motivator.
    And congratulations, Margaret.... On being a bona fide member of the digital age. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your blog, Margaret. You've done a great job with it. That PBS series sounds interesting! I definitely want to see it.
    --Kat

    ReplyDelete