Saturday, August 22, 2009

Breaking Free


This is my second posting. I have had two people visit my site, thanks to my announcing it on my Facebook page-- my son who is nowhwere near the age of retirement and my friend Pat who is at that age but is still working and making a great contribution to her field. So let me start by saying that all of us can have useful experiences to share regarding this idea of retirement, whether or not you have already retired. My son, who is very wise for his 30 + years, may even have some gems of wisdom to share with us older women. (His retirement gift to me was a great book: Smart Women Don't Retire: They Break Free by Gail Rentsch). So, let's just say that I welcome all viewpoints on the topic of this blog.

Most articles or books that I've read indicate that in order to have a successful (and I define successful by meaningful and fulfilling) retirement, there are three areas that we need to address and in which we need to remain active. These areas are cognitive challenges/ continual learning; physical activity or wellness; and social interactions. These three areas will be the focus for my postings, although I reserve the right to ramble from time to time.

When I retired, I was truly desperate for time to myself; time without the burden of overwhelming responsibilities from work; time where no one other than myself was setting expectations for me. I was ecstatic, euphoric, elated--all those good words. It doesn't mean that I hated my job or the people I worked with. It just means that I was over-burdened and no longer was happy finding my main fulfillment in life at work. I knew there was more to life and that I had other skills and talents that could also be cultivated, but I needed time. It was a major life-change that I made very comfortably.

I had three big goals that I wanted to pursue when I retired. I was passionate about them and had no qualms whatsoever about how I was going to spend my time. The literature also says that it's a good idea to have some idea before you retire about how you want to spend your time. This seems especially important for men who find most of their personal identity through their work. My goals were to read as many books as I could (and to find some book clubs in which to discuss them); to work on my physical fitness; and to begin examining the craft of writing. In the process, I was also hoping to meet new people who shared my interests. I also made a vow to myself that I would not volunteer for any new committee or leadership roles in any of the clubs that I am a member of. I've been there done that and I made up a new word to describe myself: commitophobe.

So far, in 13 months, I have read approximately 25 books, joined two book clubs, lost 10 pounds, and read multiple books and magazines about the craft of writing. I have tried to do regular journaling also but have not been as regular about this as I should be. I don't like to be too self-disciplined and make myself do the same thing every day. That's too much like work. I am still indulging myself in the freedom of the unexpected urge--catching a classic movie in the middle of the day; spending quality time with my aging dog and cat; sitting on my front porch and doing a cross-word puzzle; or even doing a little housework.

As I am now embarking on year 2 of my retirement, my goals are changing just a bit. But more on that the next time. Please let me know your thoughts on any of the subjects I've mentioned in this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment