Friday, August 21, 2009

Finding my way

The original purpose of my blog is to share with other women who have reached "a certain age" ideas about how to recreate yourself after retiring from your lifetime profession. The title of the blog comes from French and is roughly translated as "middle aged." I prefer the French expression "a certain age" because it has a little more of a positive and somewhat mysterious connotation, don't you think? I'm all about trying to put a positive "spicy" spin on things. I am 63 years old and have recently retired from a career in the field of education. Every day I am learning something new about how to live a good life as a retiree and as (even though I hate this term) a senior citizen. It doesn't just happen. You do have to work at it. I have spent my life working hard developing a successful career, raising children, taking care of aging parents. Now it is my time for me. I don't want to be self-centered. That is not what this is about. It is about discovering other potential that has been locked down inside myself all those years when I was doing all those things that I was supposed to do.

I plan to share what I have learned or am in the process of learning and hope to hear back from many other women (and men) who have reached the same time of life. I find this stage of my life to be one of the most exciting and potentially fruitful periods of my life. The whole wide world is open to me. I feel like every day is a gift. I want to continue to be a productive member of society and I'm still finding my way on that. For me, writing is one way "I find my way." Even if you are not yet retired, this blog could help you (and me) to make plans for retirement and /or to age gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment